Thursday, April 24, 2014

Sound Design

Just a short post about sound.

The major idea for the sound design in this short was to make it sound like a game from the 8-bit and 16-bit eras. For this, I enlisted the help of my college friend Dan Johnson, who, with modern tools, was able to create a sound that evoked this era of gaming. Some of the little things he did with sound was to give each character a 'voice' by using one of several sounds unique to each character when they would do an action. What's great about this is that these sounds help fill in the space between music tracks in the short, so it never feels like the sound is completely dead.

The music tracks are all original by Dan, with the exception that he used the funeral march (which in our research is royalty free) for the 'Game Over' song.

Honestly, I think Dan did a fantastic job with the sound for the short. It really helped elevate the entire thing another level, and I couldn't have done it without him. There were some times I actually had to go back in and improve some animation just so I could keep up with his sound!

Thanks for all the help on this Dan! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment