So I use my own, original font for Amazing Adventure. When I was originally deciding everything I would need to build for the project in summer 2012, I noticed that I didn't have a font in my computer that looked blocky enough for my project. And for whatever reason I decided that making a new font would be easier than finding one online. I also wasn't sure how copyright would work if I just used a font from my computer. I had a previous roommate who had a hobby of studying fonts, and as far as I know, making them too. I figured it wouldn't be too hard and could be done in a program I already have.
So my character designer Einar Másson graciously drew up a font for me, which I then converted to bit art in afterward to make it more crisp. When I got to the point that I actually needed to implement the font, I found out that specific software is required to make fonts. The freeware I could use would mess up the font I had created, and the good programs cost over 600 dollars, which I was never going to afford on my budget. So my solution was to just make each word manually in After Effects. If a word appeared more than once, I would just make a separate comp of the word, and instance it in each time I needed it. It's a rough and dirty method of typing, but it works.
However, next time, I think I will just find a free font online for my projects.

No comments:
Post a Comment