Thursday, April 24, 2014

Schedules and Time Tables

I don't do schedules very well. I CAN do deadlines, however. My brain tends to work from big to small, from the whole to the details, and that's how I tend to approach a lot of my work. I usually wake up each day and say to myself 'Self, I have a project due in May 2014, what can I do today to help accomplish that goal?' and I find something productive to do for my project that day. Thus, my project has done a pretty poor job following the timeline I had to make for my midpoint presentation. Honestly, taking the time to plan when I was going to produce e aach detail of my project seemed redundant and a waste of my time when I made the plan a year and a half ago. I understand the point of doing a timeline, to think about how all the work will get done for the project, but it's virtually impossible to plan that far in advance for an organic process such as filmmaking.

All that but being said, I did find some use for schedules as I started reaching deadlines on my project, and I had a lot of other tasks outside of that to do as well. Doing small schedules of a week or two helped me clear my mind of all the other projects and focus on one at a time. Supplementing doing the schedule with rewards, such as allowing myself to be social for an evening, helped motivate me to get more work done than I could have without the schedule.

Also affecting my original timeline is the variable of work delegated to my production team. I was loose on deadlines with them, and that caused me to get things at times VERY different than planned on the timeline. Never found it an issue, so I wasn't as pushy as I could have been, but it did affect the order I tackled each part of the project.

Here is the original timeline along with a timeline based on how I remember making Amazing Adventure.

Original, theorized timeline


More realistic timeline based on the production



No comments:

Post a Comment