Wednesday, April 23, 2014

'That's great! Now change everything!

Sometimes I get critique for the short that would involve completely redoing a shot in order to fulfill the critique. I make it a point to reflect on every new idea that is proposed to me during critique, because sometimes they are better ideas than my own. Ultimately, it is my decision on what I do and don't do with my short. Before I decide what to do with critique, I ask myself a series of questions, such as:

Does this increase the meaning of the shot, sequence, or entire short for the better?

Are these choices that Jeff would make as a character, or are they actions I am imposing onto him?

Does the change incite issues with other shots of that I would then have to fix?

How long would the change take to implement? Would my time be better spent working on something else?

Is this critique actually something wrong with the short or just personal opinion of the person who gave the critique?

Does the critique make a shot longer/shorter? Will this negatively impact my sound guy to do this?

Depending on how I can answer these questions, I can make decisions what to implement and what to pass by in my work. I find the question about how long it takes to become a major factor as I approach the deadline to my whole thesis. If I can iterate something fast to test a critique, I usually do to see if I like it. Once I consider all the factors, I make a decision. Hopefully I made enough of the right decisions in order to retain my original vision while also presenting the best short possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment